Friday, April 25, 2008

Feedback on Flat Lining Report

Hello all! The weekend is almost here and I can't wait to accomplish some major sewing on the 1876 gown.

I've received some emails with questions on techniques in the Flat Lining Feature Report and want to share with you.

As some of you may also come to this question, here is what Rebecca wrote to me:

Since it's Southern California, and we do tend to get hot weather here (during Ren Faire season) I'm planning on doing a linen bodice that's flat lined with ducking. It will be boned with steel boning (and bought casing). Here's my delimna so far - Should I put the boning on the Wrong side of the Lining, i.e. away from my body so it's sandwiched between the outer/fashion fabric layer and the stabalizing fabric (duck cloth)? If so, I would guess that I should probably need to have another lining layer to go in-between the fashion fabric/outer layer and the boning. OR, should I just sew the casings on the Right side of the Lining, i.e. closer to my body? (Part of me says I should hide my casing with another layer, but that is just another layer of fabric...and more work).

First, how thick or thin is your linen? Linen made into a snug bodice can show inside construction seams. I wrote of the two options in the report to give suggestions and ideas for you. If you decide to "hide" the casing from the inside of your bodice, thereby sewing it to the wrong side of the lining, then you may want to take the extra effort to add another underlining layer of duck, twill, or even thin flannel. Keep the fabric cotton or linen for comfort.

The easiest way would be, of course, to sew it to the right side of the duck which would then be next to your undergarment and skip the extra layer all together.
It really is your call in the finished look you want on both the inside and outside of your garment.

Keep us posted on your progress and send pictures when you finish it.

And for anyone who has a question or comment on what you've read in the Flat Lining report, please post a comment or email us.

We want you to be successful in your sewing! If you are unsure about a technique mentioned in any of our products or posts, please let us know. We are here to guide you in your historical sewing projects.

Happy sewing!
Jennifer

P.S. Costume Con is this weekend in San Jose, CA and I so wish I was there. Getting together with other costumers is so inspiring! Perhaps I can fit it into my schedule next year.
P.S.S. I received my registration packet for Costume College yesterday. I plan on taking Kendra's great 18th C. Make-up and Hair class. I have fabric for at least two 18th Century gowns and am determined to make at least one in the next year. Who's with me for the 18th Century!

No comments: