Sunday, June 15, 2008

1876 Evening Gown Completed!

The finished gown:











Since I ran out of time (not surprising), all the roses are safety pinned. But I did manage to get the leaves hand tacked on. I put in 194 hours! And that's not counting the time to find and purchase materials.


Sewing Note: flower and leaf trim should be strongly sewn on if the garment is to be worn while dancing. I only lost one little set of leaves, and they all drooped a little by night's end.


The 9 in our party had a grand time at the Social Daunce Irregulars Victorian Summer Ball.

We had a fabulous Italian dinner beforehand with several guesses as to what kind of party we were. "You must be theater people. What play are you folks in?" That one was funny. Then, "Is this a wedding?" Since I was sitting at the head of the table in my mostly white dress with the rest dressed in their finery, I can imagine why this question came up.


I had more photos taken of the gown, so keep your eye out for new ones on the blog and website. I will also be putting together the total yardage and cost of this gown for reference. Look for more details in an upcoming special member note.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! This turned out so beautiful and it looks so closely like the logo. Well done!!!

(I can imagine you're glad it's over, though :)

Jennifer said...

Well, I DO have to get it cleaned before Costume College and entering into the county fair. So all the roses and leaves will need to be pulled off, dress cleaned, then all tacked back on.

So much for finishing an outfit then packing it away. I'm just glad it will get more show time rather than just one event.

Megan said...

WOW WOW!! That dress turned out so beautifully! Oh my gosh I am so happy for you both. I know how difficult a project that was and I have to tell you that I will definitely be anticipating many more projects. God bless ya'll and good luck in the future~

Megan

CasaRosie said...

I hope you will still get this comment, I am planning to make this dress for my wedding next year, and I would love to hear any insights that you have, and yardage and cost estimates! I can be contacted at casa.rosie at g mail dot com

Elegance of Fashion said...

Oh my! It's so beautiful! The details are so delicately done! Well done!

Jennifer said...

Thank you!