Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nearly Finished!

This was the dress as of last Sunday the 8th.
The skirt is still in the same state of done-ness. The bodice now has 13 bones, all edges finished with hand eyelets for lacing on the center back and lace on the hem and neckline edges.

Today I started measuring and cutting out the sash. This will really add to the finished look - not to mention bring in more pink color. With so much white fabric, I feel like I've been working on a wedding gown!

The roses and leaves are the last thing to go on. The velvet leaves from Hats by Leko (see our Resources page) are a great moss green that will really make the dress "pop!"

Final photos of the dress will be posted after the Ball on Saturday! Stay tuned.

Thank you for all your comments regarding this current project! I've taken lots of pictures while sewing it to include in the upcoming eBook.

If you have read any step on this 1876 Evening Gown project that you are confused on, loved or would like more information about, please email me or post a comment. I would love to hear your ideas and feedback!

3 comments:

Sara said...

It's beautiful!!! I can't wait to see what the finished dress will look like!

Iron Chef Kosher! said...

I am a couple years late, I see, but I do have a question - or, perhaps, a couple questions. I should explain exactly why I'm asking them the way I am: I am going to attempt to make this same dress (one day! so many projects in line before it!) out of panels that are approx. 20x24". yes, I know I will be piecing the back - I pretty much have that figured out. But how much yardage did you have for the bodice, and for the front panel (which I will be doing differently, due to the nature of the material)? If you can't remember, or only remember the aggregate yardage, just tell me to "get a life", & I'll understand :-)

Jennifer said...

Not too late at all!

I pulled out my bodice pieces - of which were only front, side back and center back. I estimated it would take about 1 1/2 yds to cut out. The bodice front which extends down and creates the apron front (polonaise style) would fit on 24" wide fabric but with a center front seam. The pattern calls for cutting on the fold. My measurements to fit the dress were 38-29-45 (before the bustle and petticoats).

I used 7 yds. of 45" fabric of cotton batiste for the bodice, lower gathered front apron and the gathered pointed side panels.

Hope this helps!
Jennifer