Saturday, August 9, 2008

Costume College 2008 Report

Hi all! Costume College was really great this year: lots of good classes taught, much sharing of sewing information, and ideas for new projects formed.

To share more of the goings-on with you, we’ve set up a new Cloak And Corset photo album on Flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloakandcorset/

You do not have to be a member of Yahoo or Flickr to view the photos. Costume College ‘08 pictures are the first ones to debut here! Feel free to post comments.

FRIDAY: I volunteered at the Information and Volunteer Desks chatting with many and helping others.


Classes: Godey’s Fashion Plate to Reality – Please remember to use ONLY natural fiber fabrics for your linings and underlinings. You will be much more comfortable (and accurate) in your historical clothes.

18th Century Shoes from Your Closet – Really great class on how to take apart a modern shoe and drape and recover it in an 18th Century style. Can’t wait to start this craft to making matching shoes for my new Georgian wardrobe (soon to come).


Timeline of Costuming – The Late Baroque period started in 1685. I did not know that before I took this class.


After the evening Orientation, the buying frenzy began. At Atelier Mela the mad hat modeling and trading ensued, and I ended up with a fabulous (and very tall) mauve/maroon/pink and brown straw 1830s bonnet and a white straw late 18th C. flat hat.

Maegen Hensley, Dean for 2009, chose “The 18th Century” as the theme, so into it I go! My limited attendance class on Sunday afternoon of 18th C. Hair and Makeup was awesome. I look forward to practicing the techniques so by next summer I will have achieved the right “look.”

After the hat buying, a change into comfy clothes and Hospitality Suite snacks, the Panic Room was open for panicking on your unfinished Gala costumes. Many had quiet hand finishing projects. But we also had sheer panic. Thanks to Shawn Crosby and his toolbox!



SATURDAY: Busier day. Even though it wasn’t Sunday (as in “Undies”) I wore my 19th C. chemise, corset and corded petticoat. Many people were so interested in my corded petticoat that they decided to attend the class at 3:30.

What a wonderful session! I love teaching the Corded Petticoat class, and with many questions from my audience, I hope you all learned more about this obscure, but necessary, undergarment from the 1830s and ‘40s. If you have any further questions from the class, please email me.
Or if you want to get even MORE information on the Corded Petticoat, please go here.

Saturday classes: Regency Etiquette – always remove your gloves when eating, and do not remove your bonnet if staying only 15 minutes.


Dressed for the Photographer – Joan Severa, the author, presented slides from her book and chatted about the 19th Century. She belongs to the Daguerreian Society. Apparently there are thousands of 19th C. daguerreotype photographs hidden away in bank vaults. The owners were more than happy to shower Joan with them for her book research.


Gala: From our room we had: 1940s navy evening gown, 1880s blue and cream evening gown, a Regency red ball gown, and 1876 white and pink evening gown.


The column decoration looked spectacular, and there were so many good costumes this year! I’m sorry I wasn’t able to get pictures of everyone. Most of the Empress Eugenie girls were there (from Costume Con 26) so all could look at them close up.


SUNDAY: Exhausted, we pulled ourselves out of bed early. How to manage a Regency curl up-do and a 1860s bun in quick time while exhausted? – Patience!
This was my fullest day of classes and teaching.

Classes: Regency Gowns from Saris – oh my! When can I start? Oh wait – I need a sari first. Martha used real saris to drape various Regency gowns. Eye-opening to the possibilities – but first 18th Century before I go back to Regency!

Regency Men’s Overview and then Regency Hats and Headdresses both taught by the ever-informative Mela Hoyt-Hayden.

My Regency Outerwear class was a quiet, one hour lecture on the various spencers, pelisses, shawls, mantles, tippets and redingotes of the early 19th Century.


Then came the awesome 18th C. Hair and Makeup class taught by Kendra Van Cleave. Now I really need to start making hair rats (or some stuffed padding forms) to achieve those big hairstyles of the Georgian era.


What a wonderful weekend though. I met many Cloak & Corset members – thank you for taking the time to chat with me! To the winner of my Corded Petticoat report, given away at the end of my class, congratulations!

Ginny (Pig) had a glorious first Costume College! Stay tuned for her special report on what she did and the special people she met.

Until next time,
Happy Sewing!

No comments: