Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sara's Sewing Progress...

Well, I had a great time on my camping trip at Hume Lake in the Sequoias but I did manage to get sick the last 3 days I was there. Not too fun to not be in your comfortable bed at home just being sick and resting. While camping, there is typically always something that needs to be done.

I was hoping it wouldn't last too long and that by Saturday I would be much recovered. But alas, I am still not well and it's Tuesday! Needless-to-say, not much progress has been made on my BIG sewing project: the American Civil War Civilian Men's Outfit for my husband.

I received all my patterns just before I left but did not have enough time to do anything with them.

Here is my "schedule" of how I would like things to progress:
1. Figure out everything I need for the different pieces and make a list
2. Copy all patterns to Paper for Useable Patterns
3. Buy fashion fabric and all notions for pants, shirt, and vest
4. Wash/Pre-Treat all fashion fabrics (this can also be done while sewing mock-ups to help save time)
5. Wash and cut muslin for mock-ups
6. Make mock-up of pants from muslin
7. Fit pants to husband and make necessary adjustments (to pattern as well, if necessary)
8. Cut fashion fabric for pants
9. Sew pants
10. Final fitting of pants, adjust if necessary (shouldn't be needed since mock-up was made but it never hurts for one last check)
11. Repeat steps 6-10 for shirt and vest.

So as Jennifer suggests, I have created a schedule. Although I haven't set specific dates to any of them or to any of the tasks involved in each step, it is definitely a place to start.

Now, with all that said, I have no idea when I will be able to start doing the steps I outlined above. I don't have much energy right now other than to lie on my couch. I don't think I'll be able to get this outfit made in time as I think I still have a few more days recovery before I'm feeling much better and this weekend is booked with family things (and the event is next weekend!).

My husband is not too disappointed so that helps and I'm trying to look on the brighter side of things. Now I don't have a looming deadline to get this done by. Although deadlines can be beneficial as they push us to complete out projects, I now feel like I have time to find just the right fabrics for each piece and to really spend some quality time putting everything together, starting with the mock-ups (a vaulable step that I learned from my last big project that really should never be skipped).

I will keep you up-to-date on the progress of this Civil War Civilian Men's Outfit and definitely show pictures along the way.

I hope this will also encourage you that while everything doesn't always go as we would like because of some surprises that come along, there is typically a brighter side to the situation as well and it's definitely worth looking for. My brighter side is being able to find the right fabrics and to really work on my skills without the rush.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Don't wash your muslin before cutting and sewing your mock-up. It's just a waste of time and not necessary.
Jennifer