Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Where have all the pockets gone?

I'm usually the only one at my work to get dressed up for Halloween. Since I work for a small business, the owners don't mind my "unusual" clothes as long as my work isn't hindered by them. (In the summers I'll sometimes wear my 1920s dresses and hats.)



So for this Halloween I decided to wear a Civil War dress but with only my corded petticoat for support as my office is quite small. (Please remember to wear proper drawers with your corded petticoat so your legs are not irritated by the cording. :-)



Well, wouldn't you know it? As I was getting dressed on Friday morning I realized my smallish, black modern purse just didn't go with my lovely 1863 navy dress. And for some reason, with each new Civil War skirt I make I seem to completely forget about adding one or more pockets in the seams. I don't even make a oh-so-period watch pocket. Argh...



Will I ever learn that pockets in 1860s skirts are invaluable to carry modern necessities? Help! Anyone have any ideas on how I can memorize this important construction step?

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

I don't know but I had to put pockets in a bunch of Pioneer dresses for a play. Retrofitting pockets is NOT fun.

Sticky note "ADD POCKETS" on the design board???

Jennifer said...

I hate ripping seams! What a not fun project.

I'll find some bright pink paper for the note and put in on the small cork board right in front of my machine.

And since I reuse my sewing instructions, I should go back and add the same sticky to each project's pages.

Thanks for the idea!

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.