I was just so pleased with the bonnet project! My friend Bridget led me to Just Two Tailors for straw forms and told me to spray paint the form black before trimming out.
I love the shape of their high brim bonnet and how it sits around my small head (as opposed to the styrofoam head).
However, after painting, my sewing needle and then later hat pin would flake off the paint. When all the sewing was finished I had to go back and touch up those parts of natural straw that were showing through. Perhaps I should have used a primer first.
I lined the inside with chiffon (really important so your hair doesn't get caught in the straw) and added the silk curtain. Then I made up two rows of folded silk taffeta that was 1/2" pleated and tacked along the inside edge of the brim. I might go back and add a ribbon or silk rose/flower to the center inside brim when I decide to "progress" into 2nd mourning.
The embroidered veil was also a recent find on eBay (gotta love that site). In October there were quite a few black veils up for auction. I snagged this narrow one. You should have seen the rinse water in the sink! Yuck. But at least it cleaned up well and most of the smell is gone. I used a drop of Woolite to wash it.
Soon I headed to Acme Notions and ordered their 5" black ball hat pins. While there, I found 3" pins that worked perfectly in attaching the veil to the bonnet.