Friday, December 19, 2008

(18th C.) Cotton Girl!

So today I ran into Beverly's for some ring tape for my mini-Roman shade. (Thanks to Twila and her tutorial for reminding me of that time saver instead of sewing 20 rings to the drape by hand.)


Well, I had to walk past the wonderful quilting cotton fabrics. I'm such a Cotton Girl! Always have been too. Well, it makes me want to sew a day dress again. Now, I have no idea what time period or design but just that I want to make a cotton dress.


After the first of the year the major fabric stores will start putting out tons of spring fabrics. It's the best time! I get so inspired by spring fabrics and colors.


Perhaps I just need to dig out that lovely white floral fabric (actually a sheet set from Ikea (I know - I'll look like I purchased my cloth from the same dry goods merchant as so many others.) and get started on a 1780s gown and petticoat like this 1780s robe 'a l'anglaise from the Kyoto Costume Institute.




Or maybe a robe and petticoat like this:


I have so much fabric in the king size sheets I purchased so I can get a full costume or two out of them. Then again, one out of this fabric, although cute, is enough. Besides, one gets bored sewing on the same fabric for too long!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

I rather like this 1780 danish dress which very handily has a pattern someone at the Museumn drafted from it.
http://tidenstoej.natmus.dk/periode1/dragt.asp?ID=7
I use this site to translate from Danish to English. It still takes some deciphering but is usually entertaining.
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Danish&to=English

Jennifer said...

Great gown! I love the stripes.

Yes, the Danish National Museum has wonderful photos of existing garments.
Thanks for pointing this one out. I'll take one in blue and ivory.

Dixie Redmond said...

I love the bottom dress in this post, but I would look as wide as I am tall wearing something like that as I am short and full-figured. Don't really need the ? pannieres, as I have natural ones, y'know.

Would you stop by my blog and help me with a little identification on the age of some dress in some old photos?

Dixie