Saturday, March 21, 2009

18th C Stays Pattern

In response to a comment about my last post, here is a picture of my final 1780s stays pattern with the boning channels drawn in. (As I mentioned earlier, boning placement was only lightly touched upon in the pattern instructions with no drawings of possible placements).



For those of you (18thcGirl) who've done nicely fitting stays, please see if this boning arrangement is suitable. I think it'll be just fine - according to my research and my 2 other previously sewn stays.

Also, I will be using flat metal boning at the center back (CB) around the eyelets and a couple in the center front for a bit of sturdiness. The rest will be 1/4" half-round cane.

Help here:
  • How do I go about cutting the cane?

  • Do I need to soak it first?

  • Can I use my tin-snips (that I use for hoop wire cutting)?

  • How do you smooth the cut ends?
As this is my first project with cane, I'm a little unsure. I have a HUGE roll of the cane so "messing up" is fine in trying to cut lengths I need. But I don't want this to be a two day chore either.

Any thoughts??

No comments: