Wednesday, May 6, 2009

1844 Final Bodice Fitting

It's been a couple weeks but wanted to post a photo of my fitted bodice for my 1844 Summer Dress.


(Can I just say the extra bones and darts in the corset help SO much!)

This is the 2nd mock-up as the changes to the first one were enough to warrant this additional fitting.


On my mock-up you can see that my bodice has the revere/side front seam going up to the shoulder point. This was the pattern and I didn't feel like, nor have time, to re-place the seamline to match the fashion plate. You can see in the above plate the side seam heads straight into the center of the shoulder.

But the revere comes down past my shoulder, limiting my movement, which is the style of the 1840s. Demure, pointing down, genteel, soft-spoken, non-assertive, etc.....

And I also was able to cut out the dress a week ago. It took SO many more hours than I expected. I mean, come on! It's a simple dress. Yeah, until I realized (not that I forgot) that I needed to match my stripes. And a one-directional, non-uniform stripe at that.

Here's the pile o' cut pieces:

And all 325" of bias cut and ready to make piping. Now I just have to cut the linen underlining and the muslin skirt hem facing. I can't wait to start sewing as that'll move faster than the cutting stage (which it always seems to do).

In sewing, half your time on a project happens BEFORE the construction. And then, half your construction time is spent at the ironing board (as it should be).

2 comments:

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

I can't wait to see it all done, it will be stunning! 1840's is my all time favorite fashion decade!

Jennifer said...

Thank you! I am planning to wear the final dress on Friday at Costume College if you happen to be there (or stop the Marketplace).

And you'll definitely see more in-progress pictures. Stay tuned!