Monday, July 20, 2009

1844 Dress - Getting Finished!

My, oh my, but I've been away too long. So sorry I've been up to my shoulders with Costume College planning and sewing. Gee, it must be July!


Anyway, the 1844 Summer Dress is nearly done. The bodice only lacks back closing hook and thread loops, the collar tacked down and the lace around the revers and center point.


I only put in four bones: at the centers and one at each side seam. Because it is tightly fitted and the era doesn't call for fully boned bodices, only these four were needed.

The skirt is marked for the center back cartridge pleats while the rest of it will be knife pleated in to fit my twill tape waistband that will then be whipstitched to the inside of the bodice. Oh, and of course the lace down the sides of the center front bias panel are still left to tack. The wide hem facing has already been whipstitched down.



Overall it's come together nicely - once I got past the several hours of work on cutting the whole project out, including the 325" of bias for piping that wasn't enough so I had to go cut more from my scraps that were left. The cutting took way more time than I expected.

The dress will be worn over these undergarments (plus one more petticoat):


If you will be attending Costume College this year, you can see it in person on Saturday, Aug. 1st as I attend classes and teach my Quick & Easy Victorian Corset Sewing Tips class.


Hope to see you there! And come find me to show off your latest project and receive a special Cloak & Corset ribbon. :-)