Wednesday, July 22, 2009

18th Century Wanderings

Last weekend I got to the sewing point of being able to fit my 1780s caraco and quilted petticoat. The caraco is the JP Ryan pattern and went together quite easily. The sleeves on my mock-up are different as I sewed up one, made immediate alterations then cut and set in the second one.

The skirt part would look very cute polonaised up, but for now I'll omit the buttons and strings to do so. One would like ruched trim rather than extra fluff at this point.

My pink stays are close to done. However, with the lower binding still left to do, it may not be as far as I think it is. In this photo I have four more eyelets to complete the straps, the lower binding (which I've started) and tack in the lining.


Also, the brown quilted petticoat was made up last weekend. The reverse side really shows off the quilting stitches so I flat felled the side seam to make it reversible. Below is the top of the petticoat where I'm tearing it apart to cut down the cotton batting. This will help make a flatter waistband (as well as making it easier to sew).



If you are attending Costume College next week, you can find me in this outfit on Friday the 31st.

Make sure to stop by, introduce yourself and pick up your special Cloak & Corset ribbon.

No comments: