Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Victorian Jet Trim Anyone?


I was recently going through my plethora of historical magazines and other publications to ready more yummy Vintage Articles for Cloak & Corset members when I came across this bit of trimming.


From Godey's Lady's Book, June 1867, you can totally see how easy this trim would be to make for your upcoming Victorian project. You could use any sort of rayon or silk cord with bugle and seed beads. As mentioned, black faux jet beads would be stunning here. But what about red, or royal blue, or emerald green? Use your imagination, and trim away as our ancestors did!

4 comments:

The Dreamstress said...

Pretty, but so time consuming!

My local antique textile shop has a lot of real Victorian jet beading, but I keep telling myself I can't buy it unless I know what I am going to do with it.

Time Traveling in Costume said...

I dig thru antique stores or whereever I can find any of this, and save it for future projects. I was able to use quite a few pieces recently on my 1885 Best Black gown. But you can only make so many black gowns. :)

逛街 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today..........................

Rosie said...

What a wonderful idea! One day I will get around to doing some beading. I am currently working on a regency bonnet day cap.