Finished! Well, actually it was finished a few weeks ago, but I've been super busy with my new sheer gown so I'm just now getting photos posted of the corset.
(I've also been distracted with geneology research lately. I'm determined to become a member of the DAR: Daughters of the American Revolution , and you need to prove you are a direct bloodline decendent of someone who served (in any capacity) the new democracy. I've found my bloodline patriot: Isaac Workman 1742-1847; now to gather all the proper documents.)
Anyhow... back to the corset: I fitted the mock-up made from the Mantua Maker 1810-3 pattern on my newly updated dressform. Let me just say - I LOVE having a dressform that is my perfect figure.
I only needed the one fitting on the dressform. The adjustments were made to the pattern, and out it came fitting like a dream. I have a nice Regency silhouette now.
Now, flesh squishes a whole lot more than my sturdy duct tape, so the bust is not "fluffed" as it is when actually wearing the corset. My bust sits high and is separated by the wood busk in the center.
You can see above how the wood busk doesn't curve into the abdomen. This makes it easy to breathe, but I'm not sure I like having so much "space" in the front. I can't bring myself to put in a clasp busk (Victorian) in a corset before 1825, so I guess I'll have to live with the shaping.
Again, the back will be laced closer together when I'm actually wearing it.
Oh, and I used 1/4" spiral boning all around as the corset is cut partially on the bias grain. And don't tell anyone I cheated and machine-stitched, in one run, the bias binding. I do use modern techniques when possible or time is of the essence!
Here are the bust gussets. Before sewing the gussets to the main piece I whipped stitched around the folded-in point for reinforcement.
As I mentioned, I'm currently finishing up my white sheer gauze dress. A quick photo of that, along with my other quick Regency projects, will be forthcoming.